plasterboard on one wall face and bonding coat on the other

4 Apr 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom

we will be putting bonding coat/hardwall on the internal brick work face of an external solid brick wall but looking to use plasterboard on the areas surrounding the window recess (as this area will be battened out to bring plumb.
Is it ok to have the bonding coat and plasterboard meeting at and external corner, for when we get a plasterer in to do the final skim which will include corner beads.

guess we could dot and dab the whole wall but being solid brick (no cavity) bonding/hardwall would be preferred.

thanks homer
Sponsored Links
You've to be careful somtimes dot and dabbing onto a single brick wall. The same applies to using bonding or hardwall plaster. Providing you know there is "definitely" no chance of damp/moisture penetrating through the single brick from the outside, it'll probably be ok, but give the brick wall a sand and cement scratch coat first. Use a "measured amount of WATERPROOFER" in the mix.
Make the scratch coat: 4 to 1,,,, (4 of sand, 1 of cement) + the WATERPROOFER. Better to get someone who knows the job, to do it.
Another good way for you to go would be to scratch coat, and then batten the wall, put in some insulation between the battens, then plasterboard the wall with 12.5, foil backed plasterboard. That's the way i'd go on a wall like that.
thanks roughcaster

yeah hadn't thought about giving it a sand cement/ waterproofer scratch coat first so will give that a go.
fairly proficient at applying it so will prob tackle it myself.

I probably didn't explain clearly that although its an external wall it is infact 3 bricks thick, old Victorian house no cavity.

Although no signs of damp and hasn't been for the many years we been in the house I can appreciate that is not necessarily always the case.

damp will be a feature of another of my posts lol
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info Homer. Yes, a cement scratch coat onto the old brickwork first wont do any harm at all especially if you're going to use Bonding or Hardwall.
You could also cement render the wall and then skim the wall with multi finish.
To answer your last question, a plasterer would be able to tie in the plastered wall to a plasterboard reveal and fit the corner beads. I'd use pieces of "foil backed" plasterboard for that though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local