Plasterboarding - battens needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice appreciated. We have some nasty cracks in our hall ceiling (1920s lath and plaster) which the previous owner tried to cover up with stippled artex. We think the ceiling has had its day and were intending to plasterboard over it, fixing the boards directly to the joists throught the ceiling. Searching the forum I found the suggestion that the ceiling should first be covered with chickenwire and then battened out.

Can we go for the first method or do we need to use battens?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No problem boarding over old ceiling just find old joists and mark like I said in my "Chicken wire" post. The reason for putting chicken wire over was to save pulling down an old ceiling and hold the old ceiling together whilst battening. "Swings and Rounder-bouts" dont forget to use longer screws.....

Thanks for the response. I'm sure there will be lots more questions from me regarding this...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back