Plasterboarding Velux Window Reveal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone:

Don't know if anyone can help, but I'm struggling with how to plasterboard around a Velux window.

The ceiling that the windows are in is going to be plasterboarded. I'm fixing the boards to battens using plasterboard screws. My plan is to plasterboard the reveals using the groove in the Velux window frame to hold one edge of the board. The other edge I'll screw to the edge of the battens on the ceiling. Should I finish this edge level with the surface of the battens so that the piece of plasterboard on the ceiling covers the edge of the reveal plasterboard? Or, should I trim the ceiling board back and cut the reveal plasterboard wide enough to cover up the end of the ceiling board?

The first method looks intuitively right to me, but it means the screws will go in about 1/2 inch from the edge of the board. The second method means there will be about an inch between where the screws go in and the edge of the board, but it somehow doesn't look right.

Which ever way I do it, I'll finish the edge with one of those edging strips that plasterers use to reinforce corners and provide a guide for skimming.

Cheers,

----------------------- Doc

Sponsored Links
Doc,
I don't think it will matter either way as long as it's well fixed. Screws fixed an inch away from the edge of the sheet are better than screws fixed too near the edge of the sheet. But if you're going to fix beads over it and skim it with plaster, then that will sort it out anyway and you'll never notice it, whichever way you board it.

Roughcaster.

Thanks Roughcaster!

I agree with you. The end product will have a corner bead and be skimmed so no one will know. I'll go with Option 2 just because I think it better to have more plasterboard between the edge and where the screw goes. Option 1 still looks right to me however.

Do I also need to put some screws into the plasterboard that slots into the groove on the Velux window frame or is the slot sufficient to hold it?

Thanks for your help.

----------- Doc

Normally the plasterboard fits tight enough into the slots but if you can get one or two screws in as well, it will do no harm. I would drill pilot holes first though.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Pilot holes is a good idea. I'd feel better with a couple of screws in so I'll try it and see how I get on.

Got my first bit of ceiling board up today. Used up the last I had and now waiting for the delivery man.

So answer this: Can you explain why every time I order plasterboard it arrives when it is blowing and rainy? And today is supposed to be the worst storm of the winter . . .

Cheers,

-------------- Doc

Yep Doc,
Windy days,It,s always the same with sheets of plasterboard. As long as you hold on to them. Good luck with your job. ;)

Roughcaster.

That sound's familiar.

I was doing an outhouse conversion a few weeks ago. One of the lads nipped out in the tranny so i was left with my trusty motor with the roof rack. Wanted to finish off so i needed to nip to local shed to collect more.

I managed to get the boards to the job ok but just as I arrived it started raining. Only had 6 8x4 sheets on but the last one just couldnt take any more. Its surprising just how little damp turns them into soggy weetabix.

I have to say, I laughed myself as I picked it up and it just disintegrated in my hands :)

There was a post on here 2 or 3 months ago from someone looking for a sheet of plasterboard without the paper on it. I remember asking the poster (nicely) what it was for, but got no reply. It would have been nearly impossible to handle it without support. I remember Noseall commenting on it, and said it would be like handling an 8'x4' digestive biscuit. :LOL: You'd need a big mug of tea to dunk that one in. :LOL:

Roughcaster.

Don't know if my luck has turned or my last post did it but: The plasterboard arrived just after the skies cleared for a bit. No wind or rain - and the driver even helped me off load into the house!

Finished the day with a couple of boards up on the ceiling. The plan was to have it mainly done - but my plans are always about twice as optimistic as my ability to do them.

More tomorrow . . .

Latest report:

So far so good. Got the ceiling plasterboarded but I haven't done the reveals for the Velux windows yet. I'll probably start that tomorrow. It's taken so much time because each piece of plasterboard had to be pretty much specially cut in order to fit. Then it had to be lifted into place and then I had to rig up some system to hold it in place (against gravity - what would we do without it??) while I confirmed it fitted. Then I had to put some screws into it. Anyway, I'll start the reveals tomorrow.

Cheers,

----------------- Doc

Sounds good Doc, keep us up to date and let us know how your getting on.

Roughcaster.

Ok. I thought I knew how to do that, but I guess I don't. How do you post a picture?

Cheers . . .

I don't know how to do that either Doc, but hopefuly,someone will explain it to both of us later on. Better not wake them all up just now though, it's very late..... Shhhhh.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back