Plasterboarding Window Reveals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to dot-n-dab my window reveals and will apply a skim coat of plaster afterwards. Should I butt the plasterboard edges directly up to the window frame, or should you leave a gap of around say 3mm to allow the skim coat to fill the gap afterwards?

And in general, when dot-n-dabbing walls that will get a skim coat of finishing plaster afterwards, should you directly butt the boards togetgher or leave a small gap for the plaster to get into and take hold to help cohesion? I'm using square-edge boards btw.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
I'm about to dot-n-dab my window reveals and will apply a skim coat of plaster afterwards. Should I butt the plasterboard edges directly up to the window frame, or should you leave a gap of around say 3mm to allow the skim coat to fill the gap afterwards?
Fit the boards tight to the frame.

And in general, when dot-n-dabbing walls that will get a skim coat of finishing plaster afterwards, should you directly butt the boards togetgher or leave a small gap for the plaster to get into and take hold to help cohesion? I'm using square-edge boards btw.
Butt the boards closely together, no gap; make sure the edges are adequately supported by intermediate dabs around the edges, tape the joints before skimming.

a number of sites i have been on are using edging bead between the window and the board it gives a nice clean line to skim to and needs no caulking if done properly, i have skimmed a fair few of these and they always come out nice, i recently float and set my own bathroom using the dot and dab method around the reveals so i thought i would use the edge bead on that as well, i think i will use the edge beads all the time now

Sponsored Links
stop bead on the inside of the window reveal??
not a stop bead but an edging bead like this http://www.sabrefix.co.uk/products_plasterers_view.php?id=41 the last 3 sites i have been on this year had these between the window frame and the board it creates a nice line to skim to, you get a good result every time no wavey lines or anything just nice straight reveals, i suppose i should explain how to do it just incase you decide you want use this method the smallside of the bead goes on the backside of the board so what u have is the longest side of the bead on the front of the board this is then skimmed up to and over the bead after being skimmed u cannot see the bead all u can see are nice straight lines

i see, so you have to fit the bead wen you put the reveals in?

I had to do some reveals and for the first I wanted to use Bonding to patch up the existing.
I found putting the skim over the top did lead to a bit of a wavy edge up the side of the window. It was good enough for me as a DIY, but I would imagine nowhere good enough for a pro.

So for the next one, I had a bigger job with much more to repair (whole reveal) so went for a 13 mm edge bead (like was shown). This gave a much straighter reveal after being built up from blockwork. ;)

I noticed there are also thin coat edge beads (3mm)

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...tle_beads/thistle_thin_coat_plaster_stop.aspx

Not used them, but......
Maybe one of these would allow you to dryline and then fit the bead after and still maintain a neat edge for your skim against the window :D

I noticed there are also thin coat edge beads (3mm)
Maybe one of these would allow you to dryline and then fit the bead after and still maintain a neat edge for your skim against the window :D
I often use thin coat stop beads on larger windows, do the same job but cheaper; also less likely to cause a cold spot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back