Plasterboarding - taping and corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've plaster boarded my garage conversion with TE board and bought self adhesive jointing tape and compound. After reading some guides I understand how to tape and fill the joints but I am not sure how to do the corners properly.

Firstly there is a gap in one internal corner where the width of boards just misses the edge by about 10mm exposing timber. Can I just fill this with jointing compound or should I use something else?

For the external corners around the door I have bought some metal beading like this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Anglebead/Plaster-Angle-Bead/invt/240320. Is this the correct stuff as it seems quite thick?

Sponsored Links
Yeah internal corners are a bit of a pain. I use the self adhesive stuff too and most times its not sticky enough for the internal corners. Using a trowel to flatten it snug into the corner is a 50:50 success rate. I just grin and bear it and once the plaster is on you can normally correct it.

unless you are bonding and finishing you should have got fine coat corner beads! that looks like blakey beads :eek:
the plaster will fill any small gaps in the plasterboard.

just noticed, "you are just taping and filling" metal paper corner tape then
would be the order of the day!
www.sigexpress.co.uk/Gyproc-Corner-Tape.htm

Thanks for the replies. The metal paper tape looks like just the job! Can it hide reasonable sized gaps? (and a bit of first-timer cutting on an external corner :oops: )

I did ask someone in Wickes and they seemed confident that was the beading to get for taping and filling but after getting it home and looking at it I wasn't so sure :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
yup wrong beads :cry: take them back to mr wickes and exchange for the metal tape!
its really good to work with! gives nice sharp corners and will mask your little errors.
good luck. :p

oh, educate the wickey one about the proper uses for beads.

Exchanged the beading for some metal tape and after a few goes the corners are looking ok! Do pros just use flat jointing knives or the corner trowels as it seems quite hard to do corners with the flat knife!

I haven't yet tackled where the wall meets the ceiling but I've got a plasterer coming over at the weekend to skim over the existing artex ceiling for me.

Should the ceiling corners be taped and blended in in the same way as the vertical joints with metal tape? Is there any issue taping onto the artex before the skim or should I PVA the ceiling before going any further?

it just takes practise.
pva the ceiling and use skrim tape between the ceiling and wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back