Using tapered edge plasterboard for wet skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When placing an order for plasterboards, I've mistakenly ordered a large batch of tapered edge plasterboard instead of square edge plasterboard. The plasterboard is to be skimmed and I will be hiring a plasterer for that part of the job.

I know tapered edge boards are intended for tape and fill and dry lining but are there any problem for using tapered edge boards for a wet skim job. Will there be any problems with achieving a good corner with angle beads as it won't be true 90 degrees with the taper.

Getting the boards replaced will cost almost the same as putting in a new order due to collection charges, restocking fee and delivery charges and just wanted to figure out the best course of action.

Sponsored Links
They are actually better for skimming than square edged - joints less prone to cracking.

But many boards come joint faced, and you just turn them around

did about 100sqm a couple of months ago with tapered edges as I thought I will just fill them in and be done with it, than changed my mind and decided to plaster them as well,no problems whatsoever , few outside corners that I had also didn't give any problems. Didn't really even thought much about it whatever the tapered edges will be good to plaster or not.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I guess I will keep and use this batch then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back