Plasterboarding walls ... clueless, help please ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently bought an old house (dated somewhere late 1800's), it requires a lot of work.

We are currently planning one of the bedrooms as we are expecting twins in the next few weeks and it will become their room.

The house is known for damp and two previous rooms were done due to damp before we purchased, insulated plasterboard was used on all walls in those rooms, and the ceilings all have ceiling tiles so were also plasterboarded.

So we decided to carry on with this theme, so had two quotes for insulated plasterboard all around the £1700 mark.

So a few questions:

How difficult is it to do ourselves? (we would employ a plaster to skim the walls) or should we just pay the professionals?

I read a few threads about people calculating what thickness they need. How do you do that? Can someone point me in the direction of how to do that?

Whats the best? we were rrecommendedquinns 73mm, is that good? anyone know where we can purchase or an alternative?

Thanks in advance, any help would be brilliant.

Sponsored Links
I can only assume from your post the damp is due to condensation forming on the inside of the external walls?!

Celotex or kingspan is the norm You can use on line u vlaue calcs e.g.

http://www.celotex.co.uk/Other-Resources/U-value-Calculator

or look at their product literature for typical values. There is other stuff about if you shop around.

Thickness of insulation depends on if you want current building regs or just to stop condensation- also if your not too worried about losing space in the rooms.

You could insulate and fix battens over yourself and then plasterboard over that. I reckon 60-70mm min insulation. The thicker the better but then fixing gets difficult.

Other method would be to dot and dab insulated plasterboard but personally prefer mechanical fix

Sure there will be other opions (':LOL:')

Cheers

J

I can only assume from your post the damp is due to condensation forming on the inside of the external walls?!

Celotex or kingspan is the norm You can use on line u vlaue calcs e.g.

http://www.celotex.co.uk/Other-Resources/U-value-Calculator

or look at their product literature for typical values. There is other stuff about if you shop around.

Thickness of insulation depends on if you want current building regs or just to stop condensation- also if your not too worried about losing space in the rooms.

You could insulate and fix battens over yourself and then plasterboard over that. I reckon 60-70mm min insulation. The thicker the better but then fixing gets difficult.

Other method would be to dot and dab insulated plasterboard but personally prefer mechanical fix

Sure there will be other opions (':LOL:')

Cheers

J

Hi jonifife
i will be doing this shortly, but was planning on screwing battens onto the wall across the way around 2ft apart( using rawl plugs) and then gluing on the 50mm celotex to the battens and then screwing on the plasterboard through the cellotex into the battens.
do you think it is better to glue the cellotex onto the wall and then screw battens on top of it and through, into the wall?
and do you think the method i am planning of screwing the battens on across the way is good enough, or should i be screwing them on ceiling to floor, 2ft apart.
i thought it would be better going across the way so it would be easier to screw the plasterboard on at the joins.
i would be very grateful for your response, or from anyone who can advise me.
thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Note that with D&D fixing of insulation board, you should use additional mechanical fixings (nailable plugs or through frame screw fixings, don’t just rely on the adhesive.

richi3, even though your topics may appear the same, you should not be hijacking someone else’s thread, you would do better to start your own.

Thermaline Plus & Super include an integral vapour barrier which you will need to install separately if using Celotex.

Watch you don’t run foul of Building Regs if your totally stripping external walls, if you get found out then it could prove expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back