Plastered floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a renovated house just over a year ago, and it seemed like they'd done a really good job, then...
We have a room above our bedroom, and when there's someone in there, the floorboards are a bit squeaky, and footsteps are loud. So I decided to pull up the carpets, make sure the boards are properly screwed down and fit a soundproofing underlay - easy job.
20221203_121700.jpg

To quote my kids "WTAF?"
Obviously plaster isn't designed to be walked on, so it's crumbling, and some of the small bits of floorboard that have been cut have a lot of give when you tread on them.
Now I'm left wondering if I need to pull it all up and redo the floorboards too.
Any advice/suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Dig up and fit wood.
Guess walls have been fitted over flooring and it can be a big job to get that up and replace fitting more wood supports you stop moment.

Have the boards been cut to run pipes or cables?

Have the boards been cut to run pipes or cables?
I've looked some more and those bits line up with the en-suite's walls downstairs.
Worse than the plaster is that they haven't secured the cut boards either, so there's quite a bit of movement there too, ffs.
There really is no such thing as a quick job is there?

Sponsored Links
Nope.
Not a quick job.
I'd get the lot up.
Fit more edge support wood and new floor boards if you can't salvage any old boards.

There are companies fixing squeaky floorboards I heard as a problem but yours is poor workmanship

If you're taking up the floor, put struts (noggins) to support all cut edges and joints that are not resting on a joist.

Some will say that chipboard is an inferior material, and 22mm ply is much better.

I am among them.

Screw them down rather than using nails.

If you pack mineral wool between the joists, it will reduce airborne noise such as voices or TV, and also cut heat loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back