Plasterers beading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm dashing my semi detached house which has a new build extension in bare blockwork and the existing house is tyrolean.

I was wondering what kind of beadings im going to need. corner beading,drip bead and stop bead. I've noticed in screwfix they have stop bead and render stop bead but cant see much difference to look at.

Are there different thickness's i'll need, and what is the best material to use, plastic or galvanized. The stainless seems far to expensive, but i've heard that the galvanized stuff rusts bad?

Anyone got any advice?

Sponsored Links
After reading the forum on some peoples views on beading i've gathered some info, only thing i'm still unsure of is,
am i supposed to put corner bead and stop bead in the scratch coat and the finished dash coat, or just the scratch coat? Some people say about corner beading shouldn't be left shown after the finished coat?

Put your beading on first Dan and then scratch coat. Your'e right about stainless steel being expensive, but it is the best,, although this house that we've lived in for more than 30 years has galvanized bell cast beading,it is as good as the day it was fitted.
I don't use any corner beading outside as i've said before,, i think a rendered or roughcasted external corner looks more natural,, than one that has a metal or plastic spine showing through.

Roughcaster.

I agree about what your saying about the corner beading, but does it last as long without the corner bead, is it for strength or just to give the plasterer something to plaster to?

When using stop bead around the sides of my doors and windows etc, whats the best thickness to get as there is small and large 12-16mm and 13-20mm

Whats your views on the PVC stuff?

Sponsored Links
beads are purely labour saving devices ! everything achieved by beads is also achievable by forming arrises using straight edges.
your scratch coat would be around 8-10mm thick then whatever you used for your top coat so you would use the heavier beads.
galvi beads for what you require are perfectly fine!!
plastic coated beads are a lot more expensive and are used more for polymer and epoxy resin coatings because of the higher levels of acidity in the products.
the corners or edges of the beads are sometimes left exposed to create an element of a feature.
other times they are completely covered over.
i have seen galvanised beads rotted in the past but only where the render covering has been damaged and the wire in the bead left exposed to the elements.

Thanks for the good advice from you both, i think going from what you've said i'll try the galvanized stuff and possibly just a battern to form the bellcast at the bottom

I too always use galanised beads in and out , the only problem that you get with these beads is when the plasterer scrapes his trowel up the beads and takes the galvanising off, this is one of the reasons they rust. I have got galv, beads on my house and they,ve been on for years and are still ok. I usually put my bell beads on before I scratch and I run level battens around the dpc and sit them on it. But I always scratch coat first then put all my beads on before my float coat..... Levelling them and stringing them thru top and bottom...

Thanks for the good advice from you both, i think going from what you've said i'll try the galvanized stuff and possibly just
a battern to form the bellcast at the bottom

I would use a bellcast if i were you Dan. A bellcast bead is designed/shaped so that the rain water running down the wall, drips off, clear of the wall below the bead. If you did decide to go down the batten route, you could shape the top edge of the batten, similar to that of the bellcast,, also,, be careful you don't damage the finished edge when you take the batten off,,,,, is it worth all the bother? It's bellcast for me. ;)

Roughcaster.

I rang my builders merchants and they dropped the price of stainless ones for me so i got the lot in stainless for £60 less. £157 inc vat for 16 stop bead, 3 corner beads and 9 drip beads. Thanks for the info on everything to. :p

Good on ya Dan, you know it makes sense. :LOL: Don't forget, if your using nails too,,,,, galvanised.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back