Plasterers boarded new block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just puzzled really, no big deal, but the plasterers doing my new extension stuck plasterboard to the newly built walls and skimmed it.

The finished result looks fine but I am just puzzled as to why they didn't apply a plaster base to the walls instead and then finish coat? It always used to be like that back in the day when I was working on the building, many, many years ago!

Sponsored Links
Just puzzled really, no big deal, but the plasterers doing my new extension stuck plasterboard to the newly built walls and skimmed it.

The finished result looks fine but I am just puzzled as to why they didn't apply a plaster base to the walls instead and then finish coat? It always used to be like that back in the day when I was working on the building, many, many years ago!

Various reasons, it can be more convenient for them, possibly a bit cheaper. Some builders prefer it because bonding and skimming on light weight blocks is prone to cracking.

Customers should be given the option.

Makes sense. My only slight concern is that there must be a gap between back of plasterboard and the wall face as there is electric wiring capped. Just a thought that if my child shoulder barges it it might dent.

It's certainly a lot faster to dot and dab then skim - you can go from bare blockwork wall to skimmed coat, ready to paint in 24 hours or less. What trapped air there is between the back of the PB and the blockwork can acts a a bit of an insulating layer as well. I wouldn't worry too much about the kids destroying the wall - so long as you have a skirting at the bottom (the main impact point) that will be pretty difficult

Sponsored Links
I think it's mainly speed/skill of application and drying out, and quantity of materials needed especially wet materials. The drawback would be that bare blockwork walls are like sieves so you need some other mechanism for airtightness, and it can be hard to hang heavy things e.g. kitchen cupboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back