Plastering a Brick Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently taken off some old loose plaster from the walls of a bedroom and am now back to the brick. I am willing to give it a go at scratch coating and then plastering the room.

Having researched online, I have a few questions about scratch coating and plastering it.

Amongst the brick work there are a few wooden upright lengths, do these need covering with EML before scratch coating? (I assume it won't stick, although i found no EML when removing the old stuff)Also when should i put angle bread around the window? before or after the scratch coat?

For the scratch coat I should use a mixture of 4:1:1 (Sand : Cement : Water) and add some plastersiser/waterproofer.

I should let this set slightly then scratch into it.

Do i need to add more sand/cement onto my initial scratch coat? Or do I add plaster over the top of it? How long should the sand/cement dry for before adding plaster.

Finally what type of plaster should I use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the "Wiki"on the main page...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back