plastering after woodchip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im just about to emrark on removing woodchip/textured wallpper from the whole of my victorian semi.

I want to do as litle plastering as possible, but want a painted finish when ive completed the job.

The plaster is on lats at the moment, although there is only 1 dividing wall that is not solid (does that mean the rest would be plastered straight onto the brick walls?)

What is the best way to remove the woodchip to reduce the damage to the plaster, steamer or doing it manually

Also should i just be able to have it reskimmed or will i need to plaster board and skim?

Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
Just stripped a whole house of wood chip with steamer with no problem at all. if some of the walls have blown badly use backing plaster if really bad chop out sections and patch with new board.

If the woodchip has oil based paint or silk you'll have trouble with a steamer. I prefer to use one of those angle head 150mm long handle scrapers.

As far as the amount of plastering goes - you'll just have to wait and see.

To get a really good finish you'll probably need to skim the walls.

Sponsored Links
I agree with joe.

Our entire house was covered in wood-chip when we moved in.

To get it off a steamer's pretty good but if you leave it on too long you can damage the wall.

You'll never get 100% of it off without damaging some part of the wall, so it depends on the quality of repair as to whether it'll need re-skimming, but if you're going to paint straight onto plaster you'll be able to tell where the repair is. We've only got 2 wood-chip areas left now out of 7, not bad going IMO!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back