plastering an old house with stone walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am due to start replastering an old house (stone construction) of my own. I have skimmed before but only on board not old external walls. what kind of base coat should i use: bonding, browning, renovation plaster or hardwall? I understand that old walls need to breath and therfore do not want to compromise the structure or invite damp/condensation.

someone told me at the merchants that renovation plaster is like rocking horse @#*t and people are mixing hardwall with bonding for this kind of application now instead. is this true and what would the professionals out there do in this situation?

I don't want to be applying the base coat and it's drying out before i get time to work with it so any advice on which product to use to give me maximam amount of working time would be greatly appreciated.

tricky dicky (begginer and always willing to learn new tricks!)

Sponsored Links
if youve skimmed boards before look at this http://www.lafargeplasterboard.co.uk/pdfs/indywli/H3672_1.pdf

who told you this "someone told me at the merchants that renovation plaster is like rocking horse @#*t and people are mixing hardwall with bonding for this kind of application now instead." ? a wizard ;)

What was originaly on there?
probably a lime based morter or just stone so unless your familiar with these methods or want or have to creat the original finish i would steer clear, if your not sure what base coat to go with i would consider going with the link and its not that hard :LOL:

thanks for the link to drywalling and i see what you mean by creating a dryline wall with metal stud and track then the plastering will be a peice of p@*s but a lot of the house (i probably didn't explain properly)is exisitng plaster, probably lime onto the stone, and i just need to do patching up in places where walls are being taken out or where the plaster has detioriated etc. and feather into the exg. plaster.

what should i use for the patching up onto bare stone as like i said i called arnold lavers and they don't stock renovating plaster anymore and other merchants in the huddersfield area are also running dry of it and tell me that they aren't restocking. Don't even know if renovating plaster is the way to do it anyway but just need some advice on what to use on bare stone in places where the old stuff as detioriated and i need to patch up.

Get another merchant!!!!

You can find Lime based renders via most good places, it is easy to use but just read up on it first. Try http://www.mikewye.co.uk/

or http://www.greenbuildingstore.co.uk/ in Holmfirth. you can even make your own if you want and it is very cheap just wear goggles as lime will sting like a £$$%^$ if it gets in your eyes

You may cause serious damp issues if you trap moisture in a stone wall using cement based renders.

Have you could consider lime wash finish as well and looks the nuts!!!! better than any plastic based paint and improve the value of you property as well.

good luck

Sponsored Links
I spoke with some damp control people as well and they said to use limelite renovating plaster, do a scratch coat then skim.

they reckon that this will still allow the walls to breath and not trap in moisture because it has some lime content.

the gut there said that you put on the backing coat with limelite renovating plaster and scratch it then leave it overnight then go back next day and skim it with limelite finish.

the price of the stuff is good and a couple of local merchants sell it as well so it is available.

has anyone used limelite and what is the correct process for applying it and any tips on using it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back