plastering and skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my walls re-skimmed but the plasterer didn't take off the skirting. Being a novice I wasn't sure what to do when asked and not sure what how it would look.

Is it easy enough to take off the skirting and fix the plastering (i.e plaster an inch or two down the wall), then refit the skirting board without the end result being too naff?

Sponsored Links
Is it easy enough to take off the skirting and fix the plastering (i.e plaster an inch or two down the wall), then refit the skirting board without the end result being too naff?

It should be possible to skim the wall with the skirting in place.
It will probably depend how good they are. If they managed to feather it thinner there, then you probably can't tell.
If they are a 'novice' in the pro stakes, then it may be thicker there than the rest of the wall and is obvious compared to the depth of the skirting board top edge.

How do you think it looks? can always post a pic if it will help.

Taking off the skirting board after the skim will probably be messy and damage part of the skimmed wall. But is possible though & could be tidied after re-fitting.

I'll get some pics tomorrow. Got a builder in tomorrow to sort out bathroom so can get his take on it. The skirting is knackered in any event so will need replaced I think.

I'll get some pics tomorrow. Got a builder in tomorrow to sort out bathroom so can get his take on it. The skirting is knackered in any event so will need replaced I think.

With hindsight then may have been better to remove them first, never mind, not the end of the world.

Two things to remember if you do replace them yourself -
1) For DIY, Easifill is most straight forward for you if patching in some small damage around the plaster near skirting board. Easifill can be sanded to blend in.
2) You should find a gap at the bottom when the skirting board is off. This is normal and should be retained. Stops any moisture wicking up the plaster.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for the reassurance :) There are 3 rooms remaining and the skirting is coming off. I think he's done a fine job on the skimming so that's some reassurance as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back