Plastering under skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tried this in the joinery forum but no response. Any help much appreciated.

All.

As part of a re-plastering/dry lining job in one bedroom, I had to remove a length of skirting board which was wall fixed on wedges packed into the mortar joins.

1. In replacing the skirting boards will it be easiest to fix back as originally done (the wedges broke when being removed so new ones will have to be cut)? If so, are the wedges twisted or straight?

2. Alternatively I could patch plaster the wall to give a flat surface to fix the boards to. The room is first floor so I won't be bridging a DPC. If so, the floorboards finish a little short of the wall. Would the plaster 'self-support' over the gap or is it best to fill the voids and then plaster from there? I have seen plasterers plaster to floor and then chop off the bottom of the plaster.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
When we have a room replastered (and we've done about 6 in the last 2 years) i get the plaster to plaster within an inch of the floor. Then the skirting board can sit against a flat surface rather than on the original wedges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back