Repairing plaster / attaching mouldings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m replacing old skirting in an upstairs room, the new skirting is not as high as the old skirting I’m removing. Behind the skirting attached to external walls there is a void – the skirting was attached by a wedge between the bricks and then nailed on. It is a similar set up for a picture rail I’m also replacing.

I’m going to have the walls skimmed, therefore will need to fill in behind the old skirting to account for the difference in skirting height and I require something to attach the skirting to.

What would you say is the best approach to repair this?

One coat plaster / bonding plaster to floor level, plug / glue skirting once skimmed
One coat plaster / bonding plaster to top of skirting level and wooden batons to attach skirting where out of sight

What is the best approach for the similarly attached picture rail, is ‘grip fill’ or similar enough?

I’ve also replaced lath and plaster on the stud walls with plasterboard (and insulation), where the stud wall meet the external walls (internal corner) there is also areas that need patching, can I use the same technique here with some scrim tape in the corner?

I’ve checked the forums for this and there seems to be mixed views, but all thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back