Repairing Some Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having a go at a bit of DIY. I got an electician to run me an extra socket and now I need to make good the plastering.

My house is Victorian so the walls are different. I was just going to put some patching plaster in then skim over with multifinsh but I can now see that there is nothing for the plaster to bond on to. Ie, there is a empty drop behind the skirting board and about a 2 inch gap between the skirting and the brick work behind it.

Can anyone advise me on how to deal with this?

Many thanks
Georgie
20160921_111243.jpg
20160921_111306.jpg
20160921_111321.jpg

Sponsored Links
expanding foam, newspaper, a pair of Val's old knickers, a dollop of plaster wedged into the gap and left to go off before plastering. Anything really

Well I probably wouldn't use a pair of Val's old knickers, at her age they're probably incontinence pant anyway, but yes.
If that's paper on the wall strip it around the joint first

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Isolate the power.
150mm to 300mm above the jagged edge lightly cut through the wallpaper a line for stripping the wallpaper to - use a wet brush or sponge to soften the wallpaper..
Undercut a straight line in the plaster 50mm above your jagged edge, dig in about 5mm, and knock off the plaster below to a clean undercut edge.
Soak newspaper in a slurry of plaster - allow to start setting up, then force it down into the gap.
Allow the slurried paper to dry.
Carry on plastering.

The walls are not papered. They are skimmed and painted.

I will use a pair of Val's old knickers lol.

fair enough just looked like a bit of paper lifting in the first two pictures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back