Plaster curves outwards near the floor...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a plasterer come in and plaster our Victorian terrace house. Most of the work is fine, but when you get towards the floor where the skirting board should go, the plaster finish it curves outwards.

I now have to chisel off the work he has done to fit the skirting board. Is this normal.

Also the work he has done on skimming the walls, is not flat, it has many subtle and not so subtle waves in it, even where I have chipped off the plaster near the floor, there a large gaps behind the skirting board, nearly half an inch in some cases., is this normal also...

Sponsored Links
not normal if you have a good plasterer

perhaps he had a bad back and found it difficult to stoop?

Plasterers are not machines.

All plastered walls have waves, none are perfectly flat.

However there is a limit to just how wavy... :?:

Did the plasterer skim over existing or did he start from scratch i.e. bare brickwork or new plasterboards?

Sponsored Links
We had a plasterer come in and plaster our Victorian terrace house. Most of the work is fine, but when you get towards the floor where the skirting board should go, the plaster finish it curves outwards.

I now have to chisel off the work he has done to fit the skirting board. Is this normal.

Also the work he has done on skimming the walls, is not flat, it has many subtle and not so subtle waves in it, even where I have chipped off the plaster near the floor, there a large gaps behind the skirting board, nearly half an inch in some cases., is this normal also...
no this is not normal its plain lazyness its where the plasterer hasent bothered troweling the bottom of the wall resulting in uneveness and the curves you are on about could also resemble clumps any good plasterer will tidy up the bottom of the wall with his trowel
also if you have waves in the wall it looks like he may not have crossed troweled it, and the gaps at the bottom of the walls you have are also from his lazyness, its things like this that makes the difference between a good and a bad spread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back