Plastering behind skirting boards - forgot to tell him

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My plasterer has just done a couple of rooms in my house and has done a good job (I think) but in the bathroom we removed the skirting boards prior to plastering and didn't think to tell him we wanted this part of the room plastered as well we just assumed he would do it but he hasn't.

There is now a line around the bottom of the room which hasn't been plastered where the skirting board used to be. It is about 1 inch deep and 3.5 inches high and is concrete. Am I able to fill it with something then call him back? as we don't want to put skirting down again we want it tiled.

Sponsored Links
If he does a patch up job it will always show. To get a good job he will have to reskim walls.

I think perhaps the joint won't show through tiles ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi your plasterer probably didn`t plaster to the floor because plaster is like a sponge, especially multi finish & finishing plaster.
If you plaster to the floor the plaster will absorb any water from the floor, and yes water WILL get under tiles! In a few years you`ll get mould problems and tiles falling off the wall.
Use a skim of concrete or bonding coat for the bottom 3" of the wall under your plaster layer.
This is why you often see the bubbling above skirting boards on a painted wall.
If plaster is polished, scrape the surface to a depth of about 2mm to help tiles stick.
good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back