Repairing down to skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to repair some crumbling plaster on a brick wall from skirting board to about 400cm. I have removed all the unsound plaster down to skirting board and there is no plaster left below skirting. How do I stop new hardwall plaster from dripping down behind skirting and possibly bridging DPC? Can I stuff with newspaper or similar?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dont use a sloppy mix, the plaster can be scratched on and then firmly floated, it wont drop down behind the skirting boards.

AAMOI, 400cm is 4m, perhaps you meant 400mm?

Dont use a sloppy mix, the plaster can be scratched on and then firmly floated, it wont drop down behind the skirting boards.

AAMOI, 400cm is 4m, perhaps you meant 400mm?

Thanks for advice but what do you mean by "scratched on"? I am preparing with a PVA solution before I apply plaster.
Yes, I meant 400mm!
Thanks

You can use PVA, thats fine.
A scratch coat is a very tight coat firmly applied to the backing in say 2mm or 3mm thickness. It provides a key for the next (floating) coat.

Sponsored Links
You can use PVA, thats fine.
A scratch coat is a very tight coat firmly applied to the backing in say 2mm or 3mm thickness. It provides a key for the next (floating) coat.
Thanks for that. It as a small area (40cmx40cm) so I did the job in one coat, I'm afraid. It seems OK and I will apply a finish plaster now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back