Plastering around window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal practice to plaster right up to a uPVC window frame or is it better to leave a 2 - 3mm gap and fill with a flexible sealant?

Sponsored Links
Plaster right up to the frame; if you want a nice straight plaster line but are not confident about troweling one, fix a thin coat stop bead against the frame.

Thanks for the reply. I am patching a room prior to a complete professional reskim and I can probably get the edge of the undercoat plaster reasonably straight. I will be speaking to the plasterer again once I have finished all the repairs. I intend asking him if and where he wants beading to be fitted so I will mention the windows while I am at it.

I am patching a room prior to a complete professional reskim and I can probably get the edge of the undercoat plaster reasonably straight. I will be speaking to the plasterer again once I have finished all the repairs. I intend asking him if and where he wants beading to be fitted so I will mention the windows while I am at it.

I'd have thought if you get a pro in, (assuming your undercoat is not miles out) he'd be able to skim and get them straight without thin coat beads against the uPVC.
If he does want any beads, you may be better off letting him fit them too, as well as the external corner beads you'll no doubt need.
If anything goes wrong (e.g. a loose bead causes plaster to crack later), it may make fixing it a debate, if you do it yourself.

Sponsored Links
Newbee99 is right; I had assumed you were doing the skimming. You should leave all the prep work & fitting beads to your plasterer who should be able to get a straight line against the frames without using beads; only do any prep if your plasterer is in agreement & then follow their instructions to the letter.

Doing your own prep may sound like a way of saving but in reality it will save very little if any cash, it takes very little time for an experienced plasterer. Personally I always insist on doing my own prep as it’s the only way I can guarantee the quality of my work. If I do the prep & it goes wrong it can only be my fault, if you do the prep & it goes wrong, whose fault do you think it’s going to be! ;)

Thanks for the advice. I will finish all the repair work and then get the plasterer to advise from then on. I am just trying to give him some good flat and level surfaces to work on. I'm happy for him to fit beads etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back