Plastering electrical chase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was hoping for some advice. We've had an extractor fitted in our bathroom and the electrician chased down the wall about 1m from the ceiling and now this needs filling in.

I know it's probably an easy job for a professional!
My plan (and it may be wrong) would be to put pva coat first, diluted 50/50?
Then use bonding plaster to fill the chase to just below wall level.
Would I then need to use skim plaster or would jointing compound or another filler be ok to finish off and then sand down to paint over?
Should I tape the joints?
How long do I leave the bonding before putting a coat over it? I've never used it before so any tips on what it should look/feel like would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
There is no real need to PVA walls before basecoat, but will not be harmful.
Leave about 3mm recess after basecoat, then leave basecoat to set but not completely dry (about 1hr). Then you can skim with multi-finish.
If basecoat completely dries, then PVA 1:4 and leave to dry, then again, leave till tacky and skim.
You could use easifil on dry basecoat if you wished, but this may shrink and will need a couple or more applications, plus sanding.
No tape is required.

I am an electrician, so would be interested in the electrical install. Did the electrician provide RCD protection on the circuit used or does it already exist? Is the fan within the bathroom zones, if so this would require building controls notification.

I had a rewire and the spark filled the chases with plaster, browning I think. Some walls then got skimmed, so the plasterer filled with multi, and the others I did with Easifill after PVA-ing and sanded down, with no obvious issues six months on. I tried multi but EF was much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back