Plastering lines and ridges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently boarded a wall and ceiling. We cut off the tapered edge to avoid any problems with shrinkage of plaster, so they were all square edge. We made pretty sure the boards were all perfectly flat with each other. The boards were scrim taped, and then multifinish plastered by our plasterer.
As you can see from the photos, the lines of the boards are showing through. The rest of the plastering is excellent. I'm pretty sure that would disappear under paint except that you can feel them. There is a slight bump along the line in places. As you run your fingers over it, you can just about feel it, as if there is a 1/2mm ridge, but not along the entire length.

So my questions are:

Can this simply be sanded down and will it disappear under 2-3 coats of emulsion?

If it doesn't what can be done?

How could this have happened? - Is it a slight lip in the board, poor plastering or what?

Just trying to resolve the issue, and learn for the future.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20180328_113645.jpg
    20180328_113645.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 20180328_113658.jpg
    20180328_113658.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 388
Sponsored Links
Completely normal; they'll disappear after painting. But having said that, the plasterer should have put a bit more plaster on to bury the scrim, and you could have a chat with the plasterer if you're really worried, and see if another skim would be in order.

was there a gap between the boards where you’ve got the ridges? If you can feel a ridge then you’ll see it after painting in certain light, not sure I share tictac’s optimism sorry

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back