Plastering mess! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had virtually the whole house re-plastered!

Now I so hope this isn't the norm, but I have never seem such a mess, not impressed with the plasterers and they seem to have no pride in there work, but thats another story!

They haven't cleaned up as they went along and no it is going to take us hours and hours to scrape all the floor boards!

Is there anything we can use that would aid in this?

Sponsored Links
Give them a ring and ask if they are coming back to clean up the mess. :?:

If they say no then inform them that you will not recommend them to anyone for that reason. :!:

Was there anything in writing on the quote about cleaning up afterwards? I know we assume that professionals will do the job right, but some (no doubt a very small number) will only do exactly what it says on the quote (i.e. "plaster the wall" means apply plaster to the wall to cover it and that is it!).

With regards to cleaning it off, an old brick trowel or plasterting float is good for scraping (use an old one as it will get knackered). Knee pads would be another useful addition :cool: .

noseall said:
plenty of elbow grease and a good floor scraper is what you need.

A paracetemol for the aching back! :confused:

Was there anything in writing on the quote about cleaning up afterwards? I know we assume that professionals will do the job right, but some (no doubt a very small number) will only do exactly what it says on the quote (i.e. "plaster the wall" means apply plaster to the wall to cover it and that is it!).

Errrr Cash jobs! lol

I guess we learnt from this one! Not completely happy with the work, but really don't want them back in the house - work from early in the week is fine, but seems rushed at the end!

Another plasterer will be used for loft completion, will see how he goes then maybe ask him to do any other bits!

Work is like a haven at the moment! :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I can't comment on the job your plasterers have done but in my experience, of house renovation plastering is a very messy game. The plaster should virtualy sweep off floorboards, allowing you to carpet. Unless you where planning exposed boards? I have a good plasterer and I would not let him run free on floor boards I was planning to have as a finished article, you simply can't get that much slop on the walls without gaetting some on the floor.

Bangers said:
Just had virtually the whole house re-plastered!

Now I so hope this isn't the norm, but I have never seem such a mess, not impressed with the plasterers and they seem to have no pride in there work, but thats another story!

They haven't cleaned up as they went along and no it is going to take us hours and hours to scrape all the floor boards!

Is there anything we can use that would aid in this?

Yes take parcetamols don't think about plasterer get on your knees and clean bit by bit. You'll get there eventually!

Slowly working through it! Could do with not working though in the day - ha ha I wish!

A different Plasterer starting soon in loft conversion - hell he better be tidier! ;0)

Having (touch wood) a better week this week! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back