Plastering of 1940s semi

tap it with your nails like your playing a piano on the wall :LOL: symptoms of not keying a background it will blow and come off in sheets :cry:

Sponsored Links
jbonding said:
tap it with your nails like your playing a piano on the wall :LOL: symptoms of not keying a background it will blow and come off in sheets :cry:
I think that radio on Classic Radio whilst your working "jbonding" is effecting you :LOL:

forget tapping i think i thumped the wall with my hands, no falling off.

When i tap using fingers it sound hard and nails don't dig in. It set hard.

The second room is now done, the first one has dried out and plaster is more white. Not sure where i would find skim beads. Would it be better just to sand down to straight line.... was thinking of peeling end of plaster and using batten/wood at end to plaster over to get straight finish....more work involved.

The guy has double coated...first with bonding then multifinish it took him all day 10 till 6pm to do one room. he had to also strip some old plaster/paper left from previous amateurs and prep room as well.

The 3rd room is smaller so should take less time.....will start painting on Sunday on first room thats 4 days after plaster. I'm assuming I can use any paint on it....ie Matt emulsion not Dulux fast /Wickes new plaster emulsion as they come in magnolia only...i need Apple mist/Green.

All depends on enviroment in terms of how quick plaster dries. Could be one day or longer. If still wet use Dulux Fast Matt. If dry use Leyland Vinyl Matt availible in all there colours. Also, follow instructions of paint you buy for painting over new plaster surfaces.

Sponsored Links
I have already bought Wickes Trade Matt emulsion in Green/and Peach.
They have the wickes new plaster emulsion in White /magnolia only.

How would i know the plaster has dried and can be painted with theWickes Matt emulsion. I can wait till Monday/Tuesday.

When it all dries a light pink, is when its dried out. Also, remember to read the instructions on the paint you bought being, theWickes Matt emulsion, before you apply it.

Well the painting is off hold for a few days since we discovered that the lounge and dining room also need some plastering.

The lounge had 7 layers of paper and it took 2 workers all day and still not finished to strip them. There are some bad patches down to brownig which need bonding/plaster but in some areas there is random chipping. The owner had painted a texture paint over the plaster and in some areas it is chipped with the plaster. I'm assuming that to smooth the chips one could just multifinish over it after PVA or would he have to strip plaster over that area to browning and then plaster over?

The dining room had white tiles 1m high from floor(do people actually use tiles on walls in dining rooms now)..which once taken off revealed loose plaster which is expected....

The archway in the kitchen was demolished by myself....revealing cracked browning down sides of door frame support and cracked loose plaster.

We originally thought it would be a paint job but are quite overwhelmed by the amount of work the house needs just to get strarted on decorating aspect.

adam2 said:
The dining room had white tiles 1m high from floor(do people actually use tiles on walls in dining rooms now?

You may have thought it was a dining room, but I am sorry to tell you that it is in fact a disused public lavatory :LOL: :LOL:

Just been reading House manual 1940s house.....its seems in the good old days well post war..(.i wouldn't know. i was born 2 decades later) The wealthy people used to tile right up to ceiling in some areas of house...including living areas but mainly bathrooms. it does remind you of public lavs though. Well there are a lot of tiles around the house....60% have been demolished..what a pain..had to replaster all areas...

The lounge has been replastered, so has dining room. The only room not replastered is the kitchen and bathroom/WC room. However both have beige colour old fashion tiles.... Have decided to paint over using Wickes tile paint to save ££££££. in these rooms...do u blame me...I'm only letting the house out...

The mess the plasterer left was unbelieveable....the first guys made the mistake of taking the carpet out and not placing any covers on floorboards...so the plaster drops have stuck to floors..what a PAIN to get off.... The paint has totally changed the look of the room..2 rooms light green and one fresh lilac, downstairs natural peach and white emulsion on ceilings.

The cleaning task is harder...need to get rid of carpets...etc and prep for the central heating guys in 2weeks who will pull up boards and ruin my decor......just got a brush/paint on standby......

I've noticed that on the windows(D/G) there are some white paint marks behind the first glass and condensation...how did the paint get there and does that mean unit has broken down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back