plastering over wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We have a small toilet of about 6x4x10 feet high. It has wallpaper that has been painted over with what looks like textured masonry paint. net result s that the bl***y wallpaper is hard to remove.

Would it be wrong to get it plastered or skimmed over?

If not, can we have plasterboard attached to the walls by dot n dab? prefer not to loose any more space by using a system like battens and board.

The house was built about 1900.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
don't paster over paper, you can't dot and dab it either. Would a perforator or scoring the walls not allow a steamer to soak into the paper?

That wall paper is going to need napalm to come off.

Can dot n dab be used by dabbing onto areas where wallpaper has been removed, leaving the rest of the walls papered?

Is there any other way to fix the board like some kind of mechanical fastner which doesnt stand the board too far off the wall.

Sponsored Links
don't paster over paper, you can't dot and dab it either. Would a perforator or scoring the walls not allow a steamer to soak into the paper?

Thank you skhudy. I have read and attempted some of the clearly explained wallpaper removal techs in here, with no luck.

I admit I havent tried a steamer, just scouring and repeat "painting" of hot water mixed with fairy or fabric conditioner and eventually some kind of wallpaper removing poop from B&Q. None gave good results.

If the best option is steamer then I am happy to buy a cheapie from B&Q - I have some £ on a gift card to use up.

If the best option is steamer then I am happy to buy a cheapie from B&Q - I have some £ on a gift card to use up.
The time having a steamer saves on things like this, it's well worth the money. Don't think a steamer is only for stripping paper, basic ones for £25 yes, spend £45 and get one with all sorts of attachments to clean steam clean hobs, curtains, windows etc e.g http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7112616.htm

If you want to put plasterboard on, you can use Nailable plugs to fix a 9.5 mm board on. Skim this and that's 12mm less of a room all round.

Best to get the paper off as long as the steamer doesn't cause any damage.

It's a small room, you could always take back to brick/stud and re-board from scratch.

Elbow grease is the real answer

For the effort of removing the wallpaper I agree it may be as easy to remove the plaster all together.

The stuff flies off when you hit it with chisel in a hammer drill. Average 2m x 3m room you can have the whole room back to brick / studs in about 30 minutes.

Takes about 2 hours to clean up though :LOL:

Then you can reboard any stud walls and bond/plaster/board the bricks as desired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back