Skim over woodchip wallpaper with emulsion paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm busy gutting my hall way ready for plasterer to skim it over and I have a small hall way branching off the hall which is woodchip wallpaper, do I have to take the wallpaper off or can it be skim over, it had got 2 coats emulsion paint over it on plasterboards.

Sponsored Links
remove the wallpaper.

either that or remove the plasterboards if the paper is too stubborn. :eek:

If you don't remove it the water in the plaster will cause it to swell and you'll get all balloon like patches.

Sponsored Links
Okay, any idea how to get the wallpaper off without damaging the plasterboard? Some years ago I remember pulling wallpaper of the plasterboard, the backing of the wallpaper was still on the plasterboard and will this matter if it happens again?

I find one of those angle headed scrapers the best to get the wood chips off then wet the paper with water and you should be able to peel it off as the ivory side of plasterboard is quite tough.

Thanks Joe, also I forgot to ask, on some of the plasterboards have got artex (yuk) so I'm assuming you can skim over that even though it's emulsion paint on it as I'm guesing the reason you cannot skim over woodchip wallpaper because of the wallpaper backing and not the emulsion paint?

Yes. Again, use one off those angle headed razor sharp scrapers to chop off all the high points, PVA and skim.

Your better off masona.

This time, plaster the new board and dont stick the wall paper direct to the plasterboard mate :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back