Skim over wallpaper - yes, I know but ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a room which has been wallpapered and then, at a later date, painted.

I'd like to get the walls skimmed.

The wallpaper wasn't sized so it's seriously stuck on. The plaster underneath is likely to be in a mixed state (150 yo house) and removing it is going to be seriously painful.

Now, I know plaster over wallpaper is usually frowned upon (especially in a serious place like diynot) but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience to the contrary.

Appreciate the help. Don't tell me off too much for thinknig about this...

Sponsored Links
Nope, the paper will have to come off; even if it takes the dodgy plaster underneath with it. It’s not just a question of being “frowned upon”, the moisture from the plaster will get sucked into all the little nicks & cracks that you may not even be able to see; the paper will expand away from the wall, the plaster will set before the paper dries out again & you’ll end up with bubbles & blisters all over the place; it’ll be a complete disaster. The only good thing that’s likely to come out of it is it may make it easier to get the paper off once it’s all dried out; rather more expensive than investing in a good steam stripper! ;)

either remove it or reboard the whole walls & re skim

Sponsored Links
Go on ,be a devil and skim it for a laugh :LOL:

but belive me it will fall of,why not get a steam wallpaper stripper,and do it Right ? it is worth the extra Work to do it Right, :LOL: :LOL:

***Link Removed***

skimming the wall is probably the quickest method of getting your wallpaper to come off!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back