Plaster over glossed wallpaper as last resort

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have read all the advice in previous posts saying you should never plaster over wallpaper. So, I set about stripping our bathroom to get it back to plaster. I used a perforator and a steamer and I thought I was flying, managing to strip about 3 layers of wallpaper in nice big strips leaving what I thought was white painted plaster underneath. My good luck didn't last long as I suddenly hit a patch where the nice white surface also came away and I realised that it's gloss paint on top of another 3 layers of wallpaper. It's a Georgian house so I'm not surprised it has that many layers but I'm now stuck with 4 walls where I have some patches right back to the original plaster and the remainder is the white gloss on wallpaper. It comes off if I chip away at it but it takes forever and somebody is coming to start plastering on Wednesday.

My question is - I know that ideally you would never plaster on top of wallpaper but in my situation, if you absolutely had to do it, is there a way it can it be done?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do it properly and take it off, I doubt a decent plasterer would go over it anyway. Also, get a proper 150mm stripping blade and you might find it comes off a lot easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back