Can my kitchen ceiling be re-skimmed or new boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking at the pics of my kitchen ceiling can it be skimmed? At some point I will get my walls skimmed over & patched here & there but I don't know what to do with the ceiling.

It looks like it has some sort of wallpaper or something on it and has several coats of paint. Some of the paint is flaking off too.

Can I scrape off this flaking stuff or even try to steam off the wallpaper or would it need new plaster boards putting up. If so, would a plasterer do this or do I hve to get someone in to do it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not a problem at all. You'll need to remove all the woodchip paper,, flaky paint, and anything else loose underneath it,, then, providing the ceiling itself (board or plaster) is "sound", a plasterer would skim it no bother.

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like Artex over plasterboard. You just need to knock the high spots off with a big angled scraper. Don't steam it.

I think it is artex as the guys have said, and if it is artex over paper, you can't skim over it.

Thanks. Couple more pics..

When I scrape it in places its quite powdery/dusty but in others the paper backing just peels away. That said, its safe to say that if I have to scrape this stuff off its going to takes for ever & the 'ballache' factor will win!

Probably best to leave it for when I get a plasterer in & see what he says.

I know its frowned upon to ask how much things cost but Ive posted a pic of my kitchen Im doing up, can anyone tell me a ballpark figure to skim all walls & replace the boards in ceiling & skim. Even if its just a very rough guide 200 - 400 400 - 600 that sort of thing. Kitchen is about 12 x 8'

Thanks

I wouldn't of thought that you could artex over paper ,I would think that the paper underneath would soak up the moisture in the artex and peel off, but I would stand corrected if any of you lads have seen it done or come across it before. ;) Then again I suppose if the paper has had oil based paint on it then the artex might stick on!!

I've seen artex put on over paper a few times Roy. Signs to look for,, sometimes the joins in the paper will stand out through the artex, and other times you can see a distinctive, repetetive pattern through the artex as well.
You would think that the wet artex would soften the ceiling paper and cause it to peel, but a thin coat of stipple would soon dry out. In middle pic at the the top of the page, you can see what looks like a long blistery mark in the paper underneath the artex.
As regards to costs to carry out all the prep/plastering etc SJW64, it would be advisable to get 2 or 3 quotes from local reputable plasterers, who can see the job in real time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back