Plastering preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have my hall wall re-plaster in the summer as some part of the wall is blown (still the same plaster since 1902 :eek: )
I will be doing the preparation ready for the plaster, the first part of the hall is not a problem I will chop it back to the celcon blocks but the 2nd half of the hall will need just a skim over as it's plasterboards with water effect artex :eek: and about 3/4 coats of emulsion paint, do I get the artex off or just seal it with erm er erm with 23 pages of unibond or any better idea ? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If the artex feels sound to gentle pressure, then 2 coats of PVA and reskim.

If surface is not sound you could always board over with 9.5mm board.

Bear in mind artex can contain asbestos so removing it can be hazardous and tricky!

dougalhouse said:
If the artex feels sound to gentle pressure, then 2 coats of PVA and reskim.
Thanks
If surface is not sound you could always board over with 9.5mm board.
If I'm going to do that, then maybe be easier to strip the old plasterboards off so it will be flushed to the door lining.
Bear in mind artex can contain asbestos so removing it can be hazardous and tricky!
Yes, I don't want to move it if I can help it.

If you strip the old boards off replace them with 12.5mm boards though and not 9.5mm as I previously mentioned.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
I want to have my hall wall re-plaster in the summer as some part of the wall is blown (still the same plaster since 1902 :eek: )
I will be doing the preparation ready for the plaster, the first part of the hall is not a problem I will chop it back to the celcon blocks but the 2nd half of the hall will need just a skim over as it's plasterboards with water effect artex :eek: and about 3/4 coats of emulsion paint, do I get the artex off or just seal it with erm er erm with 23 pages of unibond or any better idea ? :LOL:

this post has just begun :LOL: masona maybe go for bond-it instead of pva ;)

quick question, sorry masona not to steal away from your topic, but how hazardous is artex??

i live in a 3 bed house and EVERY single ceiling was covered with the stuff!! it took 4ever but i stripped every ceiling - thats 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, hallway, landing, lounge and dining room.

now it didnt come off easy, it chipped off in little bits with alot of dust.....

i wore a mask but it wasnt air tight and a littlle dust did get through. it never concerned me until now.

should i be worried???

I hope it isnt that hazzardous because i plan to do mine. My house was built in the 70's. Did they stop using it at a certain time?

I’m currently stripping a 1960’s house of Artex but I believe it wasn’t laid on until the mid 80’s. I am using a steamer; steaming about ½ sq/m at a time. The first soaking allows you to peel off the many coats of vinyl emulsion, usually in one sheet. The second soaking softens the Artex (its water soluble) allowing it to be carefully scraped off, with a stiff, sharp scraper preventing any dust. If you’re careful (& lucky) it will come off without causing too much damage to the plaster finish. A final wash over removes the final traces, I then tape any cracks before sealing & skimming over the tape & locally repairing any gouges in the plaster. I’ve done 3 rooms this way so far & it looks just like new plaster work but it’s a bit time consuming (16 sq/m kitchen took 2 days to strip back) but it’s certainly a lot cheaper than getting it re-plastered professionally. I have just about mastered largish walls but have so far baulked at tackling a full ceiling. I must admit plastering is one of the most difficult jobs I have ever tackled & I’ve done most things.

doinupmyfirstplace said:
quick question, sorry masona not to steal away from your topic, but how hazardous is artex??
Loads of information on google, here one fo them.

Nige F said:
1902.......Celcon :?: :LOL: Typo ;)
You're just the man!

Too many youngster here can only understand celcon blocks :)

Can you remember the name of it?

The blocks colour is very dark black and like a coal effect & rough. Very hard to drill as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back