plastering query 1940's semi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a couple of questions regarding my 1940's semi and it's plaster.

The gable end plaster was blown & the cavity full of debris (bricks & plaster 'snots')
I've removed all plaster down to brick and also bricks at intervals to enable me to remove the debris.
In the spring I intend to go outside and renew the exterior damp proof course and get rid of the remaining cavity blockages.

I've noticed in driving rain, the inside of the exterior bricks runs with water which over the years had been soaking into the cavity crud and acting as a reservoir.
Looks like I'm going to have to re-point the exterior before replastering the interior. That way I can see if the repointing has stopped water ingress.
I've already approached a couple of plasterers and they seem intent on tanking the internal wall then dot n dabbing plasterboard before reskimming.

I'd personally prefer a waterproofed sand and cement backing throughout especially on the gable ends and round new upvc windows where fitted as I find carlite products soak moisture like a sponge!

My questions being...

1...Is the sand/cement approach best for my gable end interior and general patching up, or otherwise?
2...When i get new UPVC doors/windows fitted is it best to get the window company to patch plaster in the reveals or get a plasterer in?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back