Plastering Round a Bath (am I stupid?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - hope have posted this in the right place.

I am refitting my bathroom and have a bit of a quandry. We have a bath where the taps are in the middle as opposed to the end (see pic) I am going to tile the back wall along the long edge of the bath behind the taps - but am unsure what to do at the short ends. Because of the position of the window I dont want to tile around the ends if can help it (just for looks - no practical reason) but is it stupid to consider just plastering and painting the walls at these ends of the bath?

My wife has seens pics of showrooms where this is done (I did point out that those baths never had water in them!). BUt I am concerned about the resistance of the plater to wetting. There will be splashing no doubt but should not be too wet - would plastering over sbr sealed aquapanel then using bathroom paint make this any more sensible?

Sponsored Links
Knauf say you can’t plaster over Aquapanel unless you use their nice expensive plaster but I use it to make removable inspection panels (shower pumps & the like) & skim those after several coats of thoroughly dried PVA; but these are only small areas & not exposed to water at all; I wouldn’t use SBR.

I definitely advise you tile the areas though; done with the right size tiles correctly laid out, the window should look fine. If you definitely don’t want tiles then you can get waterproof decorative panels which are stuck to the wall & sealed at the edges. I think your right about the "showroom look"; done purely for aesthetic reasons rather than the practicalities of a bathroom.

Ok then richard - as you seem to be my personal consultant on this job ;) and seem to have lots of tiling experience...

Here is a dodgy pic of my bathroom if i was to put tiles (in yellow) at the end of the bath.

we want a gap between bath tiles and sink tiles so the problem is what to do with the window sill as it joins the two? You seen anything done that might look good here? I think plastering would look best but same problem with getting it wet.....

Personally I think it would look best without a gap in the tiles. You don’t show any tiling on the window cill which is normal, how are you going to finish it? The only way I think it would look right is by fitting a poly board cill;
http://www.pbs-limited.co.uk/Produc...cations.aspx?gclid=CJnQ_qr_36ACFVFb4wod0idjaQ

which will cover the unequal cill edge between the tiles.

Plaster finish between the two would be OK as it’s only likely to be subject light splashing.

Sponsored Links
The reason for the gap between the tiles is that the tiles around the sink are different to those around the bath. same colour/range but scored to look like small mosaic type (I am also using this type as a feature stripe up the middle of the bath wall)

I agree will you about the cill - perhaps your expert opinion will help me to persude the wife! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back