tiling and new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, about to re tile my bathroom and i have some areas of plaster which sound hollow and will need patching, as these will be tiled over as i am re tiling all the bathroom as opposed to just round the bath as now, can i patch with bonding plaster and tile on top of that or will i have to bond then skim as if it was a finished wall?
Ive also posted on the tiling forum as well as i'm not sure which might be the best help, many thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Bonding plaster is OK for rough filling small areas like holes & deep gouges before tiling but if there are larger areas of plaster delamination, I would cut these right back & use Bonding to fill out around 3mm low & then Multi finish to skim out level. Bonding is also comparatively soft & quiet course grained &, personally, I would not tile directly onto large areas of this. New plaster must be allowed to thoroughly dry out before you attempt to tile or the adhesive will not bond. In the case of a skim coat, about a week is OK but if it’s base & skim around 3 weeks. Bare plaster has a high suction rate & will pull the moisture out of the tile adhesive before it has a chance to grab & set properly so large areas must be primed first. I would recommend an SBR based primer rather than PVA, especially in wet areas. Use a quality trade tile adhesive & grout (BAL) not the chepo DIY stuff.

If I am tiling and I come across a patch of plaster that is loose or boxy I knock it off clean it up make it dust free then I build it out with old tiles or new tiles and just carry on and tile over it. Its no use bonding and skimming it as it would take too long before you could tile on it, I have used this method for building out areas where I am tiling for years with no ill effects...Tricks of the trade ;)

Sponsored Links
If I am tiling and I come across a patch of plaster that is loose or boxy I knock it off clean it up make it dust free then I build it out with old tiles or new tiles and just carry on and tile over it. Its no use bonding and skimming it as it would take too long before you could tile on it, I have used this method for building out areas where I am tiling for years with no ill effects...Tricks of the trade ;)
Must admit I wouldn't have thought of doing that but I suppose what the eye doesn’t see the heart can’t grieve over! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back