Plastering and tiling round a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiles ( just two tiles in hight ) round my bath have started to come off and the plaster (just in this area( needs replacing. The reason for the tiles coming off is they weren't put on securely in the first place and the bathroom had no extract fan which it now has.

Been reading up on different plaster types and need some guidance please. The plaster has been taken off to the brick only in the areas where the tiles will be replaced all other plaster looks sound :-
1. Which plaster shoud I use browning or bonding plaster or render
2. Do I need to apply anything after the plaster and before tiling
3. How long does the plaster recommended need to dry before tiling

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Never use browning/bonding in areas containing high levels of moisture.
2. Would seal with watered down pva before tiling.
3. How long is a peice of string?
Its hard to say how long for drying, depends on a lot f factors, thickness, room temp, windows, damp in wall?

You could get some acrylic primer or sbr and prime the brick-work where the tiles are going on, then get some old tiles and stick them on the area that has got to be tiled. Then spread the adhesive over the area bringing it level with the rest of the wall and scratch it lightly you could put a straight edge on the wall and screed the adhesive till it is level with the wall and let it go off. Then the next day tile it as you would normally. ;) This saves having to wait days for the plaster or render to go off....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back