tiling on new plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, about to re tile my bathroom and i have some areas of plaster which sound hollow and will need patching, as these will be tiled over as i am re tiling all the bathroom as opposed to just round the bath as now, can i patch with bonding plaster and tile on top of that or will i have to bond then skim as if it was a finished wall?
don't know whether this is the right forum but i'll post on the plastering one as well, many thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
hi all, about to re tile my bathroom and i have some areas of plaster which sound hollow and will need patching, as these will be tiled over as i am re tiling all the bathroom as opposed to just round the bath as now, can i patch with bonding plaster and tile on top of that or will i have to bond then skim as if it was a finished wall?
Just use one coat plaster. ;)

thanks for the replies, another query is what is the best way to do external corners ie plastic finishing strip or mitre them on a machine and then grout?

thanks for that gcol, never thought of that aspect, is there any recommended gap for certain size tiles?

thanks again gcol, think that answers all my questions, should have read that before excellent guide many thanks.

I know when you come on a site for the first time you just want the answer and want it quickly. Invariably, sticky posts don't always cover what you'll be asking about, but in the case of tiling, there's not much to it so most basic topics are covered in that sticky. Glad you found it of use. ;)
Be proud and post some pics of your handywork when you've finished - it's always nice to see a freshly finished bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back