Plastering (wet patches and salt crystals)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just recently had my kitchen wall replastered after a massive leak from the bathroom.
The bathroom has all been sorted out.

Its now two months since the kitchen was replastered, and i've noticed all I can describe as wet patches that appear to have salt coming through.

Does this make any sense and is it anything to worry about?

Sponsored Links
Assuming you've fixed the leak, it's efflorescence; a result of trapped moisture leeching through to the surface. It can take months for a seriously flood damaged wall to dry out sufficiently to be re-plastered & new plaster work can take anything from 2 - 6 weeks (depending if it's a skim or base & skim) to dry out sufficiently to accept ordinary paint.

My guess is it’s been caused by either re-plastering the wall before it had sufficiently dried out or painting over new plaster while it still had a high residual moisture content. It should disappear eventually but the paint finish may suffer or even flake off but in case of plastering over seriously damp walls, the plaster can de-laminate; keep your eye on it over the next few months & keep your fingers crossed ;)

Sponsored Links
2 Months!

There should be no visible damp/wetness by now.
You'd have though so. Suppose a kitchen has a higher degree of condensation which may not be helping, plus the wall may have been completely saturated?

Think a bit more info about the nature of that bathroom leak (is this room above or adjacent to the kitchen), whereabout on the wall is the damp patch, what sort of wall (internal/external/timber/solid) plus maybe a picture is now required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back