plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just completing my bathroom and will be soon ready to tackle my hall stairs and landing which need replastering. I have an old house with some chipped and damaged skirting board. Should I change this before or after plastering.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Susieh, you need to post your questions in the appropriate forums. Perhaps the Mods might move it for you?

Have you ever done any plastering before? It’s not your general “run of the mill” DIY skill like painting & decorating or even fixing up a bathroom (that still needs to be done right), it's not something you can take your time doing in order to learn & master the skills, it takes many, many years. Neither is it a trade many females will attempt (& I’m not being sexist) as in addition to the skill involved, it requires speed, strength & considerable stamina. If you’ve not done any before it will almost certainly end in tears & look one hell of a mess which you will end up paying a professional to rectify. By all means have a go if you’ve a mind but I would not advise you cut your “plastering teeth” on a stairs/landing area which can be challenging even for the experienced.

Sponsored Links
Richard, I'm not sure that Susie wants to do the plastering herself, whilst I agree with most of what you say I know a few females that would P!$$ on me for stamina and strength :LOL: :LOL: . Plastering is hard work, it's a lengthy process without any time to stop and have a rest, once your laying it on the ceiling/wall it is sink or swim!

Hi,
Just to clarify I have no intention of plastering myself. I want it to look good and whilst I have tackled many DIY jobs including electrics and carpentry plastering is well out of my league! I just wanted to make sure the preparation was right before calling someone in.
Thanks for all comments. This site is so useful.

OK my misunderstanding. Be very careful who you chose to do the work, there are many cowboys around at this time; get several quotes (3 at least) & ask to look at previous work, if they are any good they won’t mind at all. Apart from taking the skirting off, don’t worry too much about prep, it won’t save you much if anything & most experienced plasterers will prefer to do their own as it’s the only way they can be sure it’s been done correctly.

Many Thanks for your reply.

I have met so many cowboys along this house renovation journey that I considered having saloon doors installed. Some workmen see a single blonde woman and just think haha! I am at last starting to be able to spot the good from the bad to some degree so any tips on picking a reliable tradesmen are appreciated.

get several quotes (3 at least) & ask to look at previous work, if they are any good they won’t mind at all.

Curious - apologies for slight deviation susieh -
(Rich &/or other pros) do you take pics for a portfolio of recent jobs, or do you ask a customer as you're leaving if they'd mind a visitor? If you know what I mean!

I keep pics of decent sized jobs mostly loft conversions and extensions, create folders on laptop and show them completed projects from there.
That Has always been enough to satisfy prospective clients, i dare say previous customers wouldn't mind if i asked to show completed works to new clients though i would imagine after a few weeks or months they would not appreciate strangers in their newly decorated homes. Thats my opinion of course. :mrgreen:

The only pics i take, are the ones i've put up on here. Most of the work i get is through word of mouth. The area where i live is not very big, so if you do duff work, word soon spreads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back