plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my kitchen ceiling was skimmed approx 5 yrs ago, lots of spider cracks starting to appear, any ideas on how to repair it, thanx

Sponsored Links
Hi,
When you have a lot of cracks appear that seem to be going all over the place,it could be that the skim you had done some years ago, might be coming away from the original surface.Is the ceiling plasterboard?

Roughcaster

roughcaster said:
Hi,
When you have a lot of cracks appear that seem to be going all over the place,it could be that the skim you had done some years ago, might be coming away from the original surface.Is the ceiling plasterboard?

Roughcaster

yes, it is plasterboard

Sponsored Links
Hi bluebird66,
On a plasterboard ceiling,any cracking would usually be in a straight line,following the joins in the plasterboard.This would apply to a taped ceiling,artexed or skimmed.If,as you say the cracks are spidery and run in all directions,would suggest to me as I said earlier, that maybe the skim coat has lost adhesion to the original ceiling.Run the back of your hand over the area with just your fingernails touching the ceiling, and you will hear if anything is hollow underneath.If it is hollow,then there is nothing you can do about it apart from removing the whole skim coat and start again,this time making sure that the ceiling is well prepared and PVA'd,then you will have no future problem.Please let us know how you get on.Regards.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back