Plastic cold incoming pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some moron drilled into a pipe today, the photos show what we have.
This is the incoming cold supply into the house, the external diameter is 21.5 mm.
The house was built in the 70s so I’m guessing it may be an older imperial pipe?
ive no idea how far it runs through the house and at the moment don’t want to lift floorboards upstairs etc.
I repaired it with what I could get hold of which was John guest stuff, 22 mm and used super seal inserts, there are no leaks and the pipes seem to be tight in the fittings but I’m not 100% happy with it.
Anyone able to tell me if fittings are still available for this pipe, seems to be solvent fittings on it and some compression too.
173E2EDB-265E-48D7-A9F3-F30C47664794.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That’s polyorc pipe, used by solvent welding (some people call it glueing) the fitting together, horrible easily breakable stuff.

I doubt the John Guest stuff will hold. Best repairs I’ve done on them is using a polyorc to copper/plastic coupling.

https://plumbingsuppliesdirect.co.uk/compression-polyorc-adaptor-15mm-1-2/

If you need anything sooner, then screwfix/toolstation/Wickes do leadloc fittings, but you’ll need a metal pipe insert to prevent crushing the polyorc. Either that or re-pipe it in copper/speedfit from stopcock.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I’m going to lift some boards upstairs later and hope it changes to copper, otherwise it’s a repair job for now due to the disruption it would cause of changing it all.
To be fair it felt pretty solid when cutting it and not brittle but I do understand the issues.
Just like to ask about this adapter too, would be ideal if I could start my new pipe work here where you see the grey pipe start, the copper going into it measures 20.24 mm on the calipers so looks like a 22 mm end feed but not in a size I’m familiar with.

Last edited:
Have a look on the copper fitting itself, quite often stamped with the size, it might be imperial sized, but adapters are still available for these.

Hi, it's Polyorc pipe used in the 70s when there was a shortage of copper. Philmac do couplings so you can fit 15mm copper pipe with their couplings. Ask at any plumbers merchants.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back