plastic or copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to lay the domestic cold and hot water pipes for my new kitchen and bathroom. I am intending to use copper pipe as they are strong, last longer and most importantly I can weld the joines and forget about them. however the plastice pipes are easy to lay. but I do not like the push fit connection. are they reliable? any recomendation for pipe to use including fittings.

Sponsored Links
I prefer to use copper where I can, whether visible or not. You could use compression fittings with the push fit pipe. The thing with push fit, it requires 300mm clipping distances (hep20 does) when laying horizontally.

Plastic fittings are reliable (when properly installed-inserts used, pipe cut square, pushed all the way home, locking rings tight) but I prefer them where I can get at them. Big advantage of plastic tube is you can thread it through inaccessible areas in continuous lengths and just put couplers where you need them. One disadvantage of plastic fittings- they are big (so if visible tend to be rather obtrusive)

Sponsored Links
Plastic is usually quicker. I used a mix with compression joints on plastic where needed recently. Plastic made some parts a lot easier to do. Main makers push fit are probably fine but I installed some early plastic pipe that took compression with an insert rather a long time ago with very hot water running through it. 20+ years and no problems at all. The pipe was a bit stiffer than what is about now.

If you can use tge push fit without any fittings under floor would be a way to go if you could.. I do prefer copper

Used in the right way plastic can be better than copper.
Needs to be clipped regularly.
Never use where can't get to again.
Use as less fittings as possible.

Let's not forget copper is not as good as it used to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back