Joining plastic to copper???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Joining PVC piping to copper piping.

Im installing my new bathroom and have decided i would prefer to use push fit fittings and plastic pipe, the current supply to my bathroom is copper, Im moving some of the supply to different areas. Could you tell me if you can just use simple push fittings to join the pvc to copper? I will be cutting the pipe back about 3 foot

and can you use pvc to connect up showers which have metal threads?

finally, can you use push fit on the the small chrome pipe to a towell radiator?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
speedfit is what you want to use from copper for hot ( up to 80 deg celsius )and cold supply.
make sure you use the pipe inserts or the joint will leak.
speedfit do tap connectors that will fit your metal threads

pvc or abs pipe is for waste eg from you bath waste trap to the soil stack.
to change from pvc to abs you need a compression joint

You only need pipe inserts for the plastic, copper just pushes on. I'd advise getting a spray can of silicon lubricant to help the joint slip on more easily (spray into the fitting, not on the pipe)

Sponsored Links
and can you use pvc to connect up showers which have metal threads?

what sort of shower are you getting? You may have to use a brass compression fitting if it comes with an elongated connector with different thread sizes at each end.

one consideration is the size of the copper pipe, if it is old it will be 3/4"as opposed to 22mm so a different fitting or insert is required, if you use a 22mm plastic fitting on 3/4" it could blow off

It's a brave person that uses pushfit on chrome pipes! :rolleyes:

A very very brave one.

Anyway I all ways class JGSF as for DIYers. Its easier for me to pull apart when I go and sort the F ups out. :LOL: :LOL:

I've given up banging on about my disdain and fear in using pushfit. So, from now on I'm going to recommend it everywhere to everyone. Once the reservoirs have drained through the inexorable failure of these fittings with water flooding across the length and breadth of the land out of tap/ cistern connectors, manifolds, showers and all joints etc, maybe then SOMEONE WILL LISTEN TO ME :evil:

I've given up banging on about my disdain and fear in using pushfit. So, from now on I'm going to recommend it everywhere to everyone. Once the reservoirs have drained through the inexorable failure of these fittings with water flooding across the length and breadth of the land out of tap/ cistern connectors, manifolds, showers and all joints etc, maybe then SOMEONE WILL LISTEN TO ME :evil:

Any chance your a plummer worrried that actually, anyone with a bit of common sense could do it?

Push fit onto everything should be ok? i am worried about the chrome joints!!!!

Has anyone any experience of using push fit flexible toilet wastes???

Any chance your a plummer worrried that actually, anyone with a bit of common sense could do it?

yes, ask dextrous!

No, I'm a plumber who's worried about how long pushfit joint will last. Varying pressures, rubber/silicon o-ring, vibrating pipes (as water flows through them). Since shower trays leak, and the amount of water on them is nothing compares to what flows through a pipe, what chance does a pushfit fitting have over a period of time? With a bit of common sense, you could use copper in the bathroom! I did mine years ago, and that was before I trained!

Flexible toilet wastes have a habit of clogging up apparently. I've never seen one do so to be fair. But to be even more fair, they've not been around that long.

Use chrome compression joints on the chrome.

I could use copper, but getting all the kit for one job doesnt seem worth it!

You could say the same about no more nails, and how long the grip will last, but, its more likely the plaster will blow or the wood will rot before the nails fails!!!!!!!

I would imagine that I will have moved before it becomes a problem, if not passed away, one thing though chemically, plastic is more inert than copper, so could "quite possibly" outlast copper, the silicone may perish eventually, but it wouldnt be able to go anywhere so the seal would remain surely?

Ill use the compression fitting on the chrome to be safe, i did read that you can use chrome plated copper, and you can take the chrome plating off to leave the copper and then use push fit? maybe an option.

I could use copper, but getting all the kit for one job doesnt seem worth it!
Yeah, I see how a blowtorch and a pipe cutter is a major expense.
You could say the same about no more nails, and how long the grip will last, but, its more likely the plaster will blow or the wood will rot before the nails fails!!!!!!!
But things fixed with this don't have several bar of water and varying temperatures running past them
I would imagine that I will have moved before it becomes a problem, if not passed away
mighty public spirited of you. I suggest you don't hang around too long then.
,, the silicone may perish eventually, but it wouldnt be able to go anywhere so the seal would remain surely?
So taps never drip, nor leak, and shower and bath seals never let water through? I see

Ill use the compression fitting on the chrome to be safe, i did read that you can use chrome plated copper, and you can take the chrome plating off to leave the copper and then use push fit? maybe an option.
You'll have to splash out on some wire wool!

Yes, yes and yes.

Trust me the whole yes, yes and yes thing does not hold water(pardon the pun).
Years ago i brought a ceiling down in a home due to this exact question.
Push fit fittings will not In my experiance hold to chrome unless as stated else where be rubbed back to copper with some wire wool.
Again its just my experience!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back