Plastic Pipe and Lagging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - another potentially dumb question :D
I've run hot & cold pipes out into an unheated but fully enclosed area of the house (a leanto). I've used grey plastic pipe and plastic fittings cos they're idiot proof and I'm an idiot.
Do these require lagging?

Sponsored Links
Are they subject to freezing temperatures when the rest of the house is occupied and heated?

Do you want to reduce heat losses from the hot pipe?

Are the pipes to be buried in a wall or under a floor.

Will there be high humidity in the room?

Sorry Softus - I didn't give much info.
Temperature may well drop to freezing, since leanto isn't heated.
Pipes are clipped vertically to the wall. No unusual humidity in the room.

I'm not too worried about heat loss, more about burst pipes.

Many thanks.....

Given enough time, a low enough temperature will freeze the water in the pipes, regardless of how much insulation you use.

Covering the pipes will buy you time, but if you want to eliminate the risk completely then then you have to heat the room. You could consider coupling up a fan heater to a contactor operated from a frost stat.

When pipes are installed outside heated zones, they are often heated (and therefore protected) with a low voltage heat trace cable.

Sponsored Links
Cheer Softus. There are some some 15mm heating pipes available for branching into to install a new rad. I'll research in the WIKI/FAQ and heat the room.

Thanks again for yur help - appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back