plastic pipe choice - JG, Polyplumb, Hep20, Uponor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

About to diy replumb as part of renovation, I know this has probably been asked a lot but can only find older threads so thought an update of view in order to help me choose which system!?

CH and h/c water will be off manifold systems, ie: 22mm to manifold then 15mm to rads on zones.

Choices as I see it are:

- Polyplumb (these have metal grab rings and not demountable right?)
- Speedfit which seems to be very popular
- Hep20
-or Uponor MCLP which looks great and sounds like the next best thing to copper, but comes in odd sizes and expensive tools to crimp ( can hire tool but at bout £150!) - polysure looks like a similar system as well?

Also want to use valved manifolds (not plastic manifold if poss)so every individual run can be isolated at manifold.

Any thoughts/experience with the latest editions of these would be very helpful!

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Personally I always prefer to use copper but then most plumbers will say that. As you're doing a DIY job it would certainly be easier for you to use plastic push fit pipe and fittings. In terms of the brand of push fit, I personally have always found it to be pretty much the same but then I don't use that much unless the situation calls for it, but I've never had a problem with any if them. Obviously JG can be beneficial as like you say it is demountable quite easily. You can still attach plastic pipe to a brass compression manifold so you don't have to use a plastic manifold.
Just make sure you use the liners at both ends of each section of pipe and ensure you push it all the way into the fitting. If you line up with the fitting so you know how far it should push in there are usually markings on the pipe you can use as a guide.
I've not used crimpers etc. but have heard good things when used properly.

Uponor Q&E funny sizes expensive tooling. Buts its good :cool: Sorry I couldnt help

Most of the leading brands are ok if you follow the manufacturers instructions.
Mainly, use pipe cutters and not a hacksaw, use a support sleeve / insert in plastic pipe, always ensure pipe is inserted "full socket".

A couple of observations.

Poly Plumb is based on the early fitting design, "O" ring first Grab ring second, nothing wrong with this but unless pipe is cut square and fully inserted it can "blow off"
Also as stated, once fitted you need to take apart and purchase new grab ring to re use.

People make a big thing about some brands being "Easy Demountable" I don't see why this is so important in a permanent installation. If it's easy to demount it's also easy to tamper with either deliberately or accidentally (little inquisitive fingers)

My preference is Hep2o, can be remounted if you need to (plastic tool required), 50 year warranty and has a "joint recognition system" so you can tell when the pipe is fully in.

Edit. With some of the "crimp" systems, the fittings seal inside the pipe, because of this it reduces the internal bore quite a lot.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't go near Hep2o again. Sure they are de-mountable with the tool but, more often than not the steel insert stays in the fitting. I had lots of them like that and after a bout of e-mails (which I still have) between myself and the manufacturer, they admitted to me that there was a fault and that it has now been redesigned. They also sent me a bag of replacement fittings. But, no way of telling the old fittings from the new so I chucked them all in the bin.
I've used Speedfit since then.

They all have their pros & cons. I like HEP2o, OK the inserts can be a PITA when demount a fitting but hey ho. The HEP fittings are smaller than most, the 'rumble' when you push it home is reassuring & A half push home fitting will leak, but not blow off.
HTH

PS. I also only fit copper, with Conex fittings & Im stuck in the 1960s....... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back