Upgrading 6 port 10mm manifold to 15mm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a new radiator, all the current ones are using 10mm pipes (very old installation) but I am going to use 15mm for this one (as it is far away and will mean 15mm piping will already be install for future upgrade of the central heating system).

However since I had to lift most of the floorboards in my flat, I am going to replace all existing 10mm pipes to 15mm.

Below is a photo of the 6 way manifold (10mm) which I need to replace:

full

Since I will be using speedfit plastic pipes, what kind of manifold would you recommend to install 6 radiators using 15mm pipes?

I found it difficult to find 6 port manifold 15mm... I might not be looking properly though...

I was thinking about the John Guest 4 Port Rail Manifold (SFM522215E): http://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/product/manifolds/4-port-rail-manifold/
and then split 2 of the ports.

Or is it better just to connect 2 of those manifold together to get 8 ports and only use 6 of them.

If it helps, here is a floor plan of my radiators with distances:

Radiator setup.jpg

My plan is to:
- split one of the a pipe to reach radiators 1 and 2
- split one of the a pipe to reach radiators 3 and 5
- all other radiators will be connected directly to the manifold

Or may be something more conventional like http://www.bhl.co.uk/bml-linear-manifold-3-4-inch-x-15mm-3-way.html

PS: http://www.diydata.com/planning/ch_design/sizing_pipes.php stipulates "Pipework larger than the required size can be used with no detrimental effect upon the installation, although it will be more expensive, the speed of the water flow and the effect of back pressure will be reduced which can only improve the operation of the system".

According to the above statement, am I correct saying that changing all the radiator pipes from 10mm to 15mm should not have any adverse effects?

Thanks a lot,
Ant

Sponsored Links
If present system works, why not just add a branch. Can visualise lovely copper replaced with heaving mass of plastic:(

As above - you've got a spare 10mm port there, so just use that for your extra radiator, that way you get to keep all the nice durable copper that's already in place

Dan, Andrew,

Using the spare port was my original idea, however since I will have access to the piping under the floorboards, I thought it would be an opportunity to replace all the existing 10mm pipes since:
1) some of the radiators are located quite far from the main pipe, I do not think 10mm pipe should have been used
2) I do not intend to lay new laminate flooring for a long time, hence was planning the piping for future upgrade of the CH (which most would require 15mm)
3) At the moment it seems quite difficult to balance each radiator to get them all really hot at the same time, if increasing the pipe size can help (at least I read it should not be detrimental), then it is something I am willing to do; at the end of the day I am trying to make my system as efficient as possible.

Are not the 3 above points good enough reasons to upgrade the piping to 15mm?

Are plastic pipes that bad compare to copper?

Thanks,
Ant

Sponsored Links
Old adage : "If it ain't broken, why fix it ?"

A couple of 10x15 adapters and run only the new line in 15mm

I agree it is not broken, but not running great either; some of the radiators are not that warm at the bottom; I know it is not sludge but rather a balancing / flow issue because if I shut all radiators apart from an 'affected' one, the whole radiator is properly hot. I will spend more time on it this evening re-balancing them.

My question for this thread: I am going to get new carpet and laminate laid which I hope will last a very long time (i.e. I do not intend to work under the floorboards for a while), as I am preparing the piping for an eventual new boiler I am envisaging upgrading the piping from 10mm to 15mm (meaning when the new boiler is fitted, I won't need to get the whole carpet and laminate torn away just to replace the 10mm pipes since 15mm will already be in place), could replacing 10mm with 15mm have a detrimental effect on the current boiler / installation?

Last edited:
Ant, started typing why you should just add, then scrubbed it all

Crack on. Rip it oot and go plastic(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back