Distributing water via manifolds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to totally renovate a 3 bed semi. I need to replace all pipe work and radiators, bathroom etc. Whilst on holiday recently in America I saw that all the water for the house was distributed by manifolds in one cupboard. I like the idea of using flexible plastic pipe but only having 2 points of possible leak.
I was thinking of using 4 manifolds in the centre of the house, all with isolation taps.

1. 22m to manifold 15mm cold water to sinks, toilets, baths etc. 2. 15mm to manifold 15mm hot to sinks, baths etc. 3. 22mm to manifold 10mm flow to radiators (11 in total) 4. 22mm to manifold 10mm return from radiators (11 in total)

Can you see any problems doing this? I would balance all the radiators and reduce pressure to toilets and sinks. (The boiler doesn't need a bypass valve.)

Thanks Jono.

Sponsored Links
Good luck reinventing the wheel. Remember to patent it you could be onto a winner.

Its more expensive doing it that way but the only real advantage is that it will minimise the effect of one appliance on another.

Whilst that does not matter much for toilets it is useful for showers.

Leaks should not be a factor with a properly installed system.

Since the majority of outlets, toilets, dishwasher, washing machine are not bothered by pressure variations there is no point in connecting them to a manifold system. The only advantage is for the shower.

Tony Glazier

Paul Barker said:
Good luck reinventing the wheel. Remember to patent it you could be onto a winner.
That seems unnecessarily unkind Paul - the poster said that he saw the scheme being used, not that he had invented it.

Jono - Agile has made the most important point, which is of expense.

Is it worth the extra trouble and expense now, to save the money that a leak would cost later? And you might not even be living there if/when it happens! I've lived in my house for 11 years and not had a leak. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a leak; anywhere. Except in a house I was negotiating to buy where the previous owner left it unoccupied with the water turned on, during March 1986 (remember the snow?). So either I've been incredibly lucky, or you're worrying about something that's unlikely to happen.

I expect you're wondering how many houses I've lived in - is it five or is it six? Well, to be honest, in al the moving around, I've clean forgotten myself.

So, the question you have to ask yourself is: do you feel unlucky?

Well, Jono - do you?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies (Even Paul !! :) Oh I don't mind).

Although it will cost more to install, I can add to it bit by bit as I go around the house installing new kitchen, bathroom, toilet, utility room etc.

I'm not an unlucky person - well not so far!! :)

Agile, you mention using a manifold is useful for showers - to be honest I love my showers and have experienced pretty bad ones in the past - it drives me mad!

Do you think I would get good flow rate to the shower by coming out of the boiler with 15mm and go directly to the shower using one continuous plastic pipe, with only one Tee (to the remaining hot taps) ensuring I use the straight side of the Tee for the shower?

J

"""Do you think I would get good flow rate to the shower by coming out of the boiler with 15mm and go directly to the shower using one continuous plastic pipe, with only one Tee (to the remaining hot taps) ensuring I use the straight side of the Tee for the shower?"""

I think that you already have a good understanding of the principles. The important thing is NOT to have occasional water usage items between the boiler and the shower. A single tube from the boiler to the shower is ideal but a wash basin supplied off that line is fine if it will not be used while the shower is in use.

Another useful trick is to insulate hot water pipes and to limit the flow to washing machines and the kitchen tap and other basins to only what is required at that outlet. Simple isolating valves are usually fine if a little noise is not an issue.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back