Plastic pipe - is there a difference between the types?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to plumb my kitchen using plastic pipe because it's quick and easy. (I used copper last time, my friends say I need new experiences.) However I find the choice at the DIY stores confusing.

I'm assuming that plastic pipes and fittings are okay for mains water pressure - YES?

I know that plastic pipes and fittings cannot be used within a certain run distance of the boiler and for water hotter than 65°C.

What is the difference between the white and grey pipes and fittings available? Is it more than just brand difference? Maximum pressure specification? Is it advisable to not mix difference brands or are fitting universal. I don't see why not, a 15 mm fitting is a 15 mm fitting isn't it?

Thank you for your advice - Dumb Fridgemonkey.

Sponsored Links
best brand to stick to is the stuff that comes in a copper colour and is quite rigid . ;)

Sponsored Links
A new zealand bloke I know was telling me about this wonderful new type of pipe they use over there. Sounds like plastic but with outstanding thermal insulation properties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back