Plastic pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on the suitability of plastic pipes for connecting radiators in a central heating system?
I had a new stailess steel towel rail rad fitted 2 years ago. The rad was fitted using 5mm plastic pipes. It worked fine until last week. Now, while rest of rads are hot, the new one only gets warm. The entry valve however is hot, there is no air in the rad and when the bleed valves are opened, clean warm water sprays out. The system has Fernox MB1 added.
'The gas man cometh' is suggesting that some plastic pipes allow air to enter the system which in turn promotes the formation of rust...... the rust particles and the small bore pipe have, in this case, caused a blockage requiring the system to be flushed.
Can such small lengths of plastic pipe, i.e. less than 1/2 meter, have such a major effect on the formation of rust in a system protected with inhibitor?

Sponsored Links
Bet its BG :confused: £500 please

What size is 5mm never seen any or was it a missprint

I found 12" (300mm) of non barrier pipe on a system which caused it to bung up with crudd.

Sponsored Links
yes your advise from the gas man is absolutely spot on if it is non barriered plastic pipe, air permeates through into the system 24/7.It will kill it in no time at all.
The powerflush will sort it out as long as the pipe is replaced and if you pay BG and keep some sort of contract link I believe that you get a lifetime guarantee on the powerflush so if it wasn't the cause you get it done again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back