plastic piping in existing copper system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys, i have existing copper pipework under the bath and am looking to tap into this and set up pipework for a shower.
what are the big advantages over copper? it looks like plastic could be more flexible, but are they equally as reliable? and are there any issues tapping into copper pipework with plastic pipes using the appropriate fittings?
basically what i would like to know from those who've had experience with both types of pipework, is one better than the other?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Not a plumber myself and I know the proper old school here will always swear by the soldered copper, however, I have used hep2o system for a few years and haven't seen a leak yet.
But I have seen copper joints leak, especially compression.
Time will tell if plastic will last as long as copper.
I hope so, considering that half of my house has been piped in plastic...

oh i had no idea that plastic was that recent! having had a look at the prices plastic does seem more expensive, what made you go for plastic? and is it generally easier to fit or is there not much difference?

If you want to go with Plastic make sure you use the correct inserts

Sponsored Links
Yes, make sure you use all fittings from the same brand.
And don't forget the pipe inserts.
Last kitchen i fitted had none :eek:

DIYer NOT a Plumber
i have done a lot of my own plumbing with plastic pipe JohnGuest is the brand i used and also used the layflat pipe with 90 degree formers which saved some of the joins and allowed the pipe to be bent more than the normal pipework
I had 2 types of inserts, 1 insert for the plastic pipe to plastic connector and a different typ of insert for the plastic pipe when attaching to copper fittings, make sure you use these.
The john guest has a 25 year warranty
Also the electrician when we had the bathroom done also crossbonded the earth to the other copper pipework, in the loft CH & WATER, as the plastic would stop any continuity to the rest of the house.

My entire house is done in Hep2O. It's 25 years old. The only leak I've suffered is due to 2 pipe inserts being left out of a joint. Copper to plastic is fine. My advice if you need later to use a different make to repair or extend a water circuit is: whilst they generally claim all to be compatible, I'm sure if you had a problem they'd carp over mixing. Therefore at the mix point, stick a very short copper piece in. ALL of them claim to be compatible with copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back