Plastic push pipe fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gutting out the whole house and will have it completely re-plumbed. Builder has quoted for copper pipe where seen. Does that mean that all pipe work and associated connections under boards and in walls therefore, will be the flexible rubber pipe with push plastic fittings?

What are the expert views on plastic push pipe fittings? Are they more prone to leaking after a certain amount of time? Is coppery still best despite having to weld the elbows and connectors etc and of course cost?

Sponsored Links
Plastic is going to be cheaper and is a doddle to fit if you can do Lego you can do plastic pipe!

It has it's place where access to run a pipe is very restricted, maybe to pass under a wood floor that cannot be lifted, but solder has got to have a longer life than a neoprene O ring.

Plastic is prone to attack by vermin and interchangeability between brands has yet to be sorted. Any bit of 15mm copper pipe will fit with any make of 15mm copper fitting, but plastic pipe and fittings from different makers are not a reliable mix.
If your plumber uses a brand that becomes obsolete repairs and alterations can become a potential problem.

I would stick with copper myself but then perhaps I am an old stick in the mud. Eee lad nowt wrong wi threaded galvanized steel pipe and a spot of hemp! ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for your informed reply. I'm guessing his overall price will increase if I ask him to use copper but let's see. If we did stick with plastic what makes do you recommend and any other tips to limit future problems ie try and get him to pay for better quality parts.

J G Speedfit and Hep2o are leading brands so less likely to become obsolete, best to avoid own brand or special price stuff stocked by a local builders.

The Guy will want to use whatever he normally does because.

He is used to it, may have release tools for the brand, will have spare bits lying around in his bag if he needs them, can reuse any left over bits on the next job and knows where he can pick them up quickly at a reasonable price from his normal supplier if he needs an odd bit.

Sponsored Links
Hi again

Yes he mentioned Hep2o. Is this the crème de la crème of plastic fittings? How likely is it that if the connections and elbows don't leak now, they might after a few years? I'm worried as I mean have tiles on the floors around the house so don't want to deal with leaks later.

Yes Hep2o is well made stuff and if their sales blurb is to be believed they reckon a life of 50 years.

http://www.wavin.co.uk/web/solutions/potable-water/plumbing-systems/pushfit.htm

As long that is as the fittings are correctly installed, really it depends on how confident you are in your plumber.

One point to think about is often using plastic can reduce the number of joins under floor so less joints to leak, although as said I would only use it where copper was not feasible, but then I am old school.

Unless there are access problems making copper too hard to install, it is the only quality job. I expect you have ripped out plenty of copper pipe already which probably had a service life of decades left in it.

Plastic pipe has it's place, and apart from vermin problems, without any joints it should last for ages. The problems are the joints and a typical domestic heating system will have lots of them.

The manufacturers warranties for plastic pipe always assume it has been installed sympathetically, in laymans terms this means;

- No joints under stress from pipework under tension (eg; radiuses on the way into the joint)
- no scratches on the pipe exterior (they recommend taping over the ends before drawing in pipe through joists where the joints will be made
- no mixed fittings or inserts from different manufacturers
- no direct connections to the boiler in plastic
- no floorboards pushing down on the (bulky) joints

In practice, the chances of you finding a significant number of these non-conformances on your finished work are very high. Generally speaking a central heating installer wanting to carcass a private house (unless there are very good reasons for the choice, (eg: prefab joists) in plastic is looking to do the job very quickly indeed.

Anybody who has a had a plumbing expert installing a bathroom recently only has to look at how many connections in their plastic plumbing have been left under stress. Best not look now, put the kettle on instead.

Caveat Emptor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back